Home | Quotations | Newspaper Articles | Special Features | Links | Search

The New York Times, May 6, 1954

N. Y. U. and Greenwich Village Chamber Plan to Use Objects

Parts of the recently demolished Mark Twain House at 21 Fifth Avenue have been preserved through the efforts of New York University and the Greenwich Village Chamber of Commerce.

The front door and stone arch over the entrance have been obtained for possible use in a library planned by the university at Washington Square. The door, now in storage, may be used at the entrance of a Mark Twain room in the library. A large mirror and a marble fireplace also salvaged would be displayed in a proposed Greenwich Village historical museum that the Chamber of Commerce hopes to establish.

An attempt by the chamber to raise $70,000 to save the house was unsuccessful, and an eighteen-story apartment building is now under construction on the site.

Return to The New York Times index

Quotations | Newspaper Articles | Special Features | Links | Search