Home | Quotations | Newspaper Articles | Special Features | Links | Search

The New York Times, July 20, 1912

Andrew Carnegie Makes the Author's Memorial Self-Supporting.

The public library founded by the late Samuel L. Clemens (Mark Twain) in Redding, Conn., where he spent the latter years of his life, has been endowed by Andrew Carnegie with a fund sufficient to support it. The library is to be known as the Mark Twain Memorial Library.

When Mr. Clemens moved to Redding he placed several thousand volumes from his own library in a small vacant chapel and opened it to the public. Just before his death he erected a building for the library as a memorial to his daughter Jean. After the author's death Mrs. Gabrilowitsch, another daughter, donated the larger part of his remaining library to the collection.

The library up to the present time has been supported by voluntary contributions.

Return to The New York Times index

Quotations | Newspaper Articles | Special Features | Links | Search