Home | Quotations | Newspaper Articles | Special Features | Links | Search

Territorial Enterprise, April 19, 1864


Thompson, foreman of the Oneoto claim, was beaten over the head with a revolver by Drake of the What Cheer House, and so badly injured that doubts are entertained of his recovery. The parties have always heretofore been good friends, but both at the time of the affray were somewhat under the influence of liquor. It appears that Drake, proprietor of the What Cheer, was about turning out a family that were stopping in the house. Thompson remonstrated with him and both soon became quite angry. From words they came to blows, when Drake, who is a large and powerful man, drew his revolver and commenced beating Thompson over the head. Thompson was taken up in a state of insensibility by his friends and carried off to have his wounds dressed. His nose was broken, one of his cheeks smashed in and his head dreadfully cut. A number of pools of blood were to be seen on the porch in front of the What Cheer House this morning. Drake was arrested.

G. F. Russell attacked and very badly cut Eugene Fenton at Dodge & Merchant's Mill, below Silver City. Fenton was cut in over a dozen places about the abdomen and received a very ugly wound in the groin. Had not the knife used by Russell been a small one, Fenton would most assuredly have been killed. Russell was arrested and taken before Judge Pease of Silver City for examination. From the evidence before the Justice, it appears that the attack was entirely unprovoked, and whisky is the only cause that can be assigned for the assault. He was held to answer for an assault with a deadly weapon, in the sum of $1,000. In default of finding bail in that amount he was sent to the county jail at Dayton. Doubts are entertained of the recovery of Fenton, who constantly asserts that he is going to die.

[Reprinted in San Francisco Bulletin, April 21, 1864, p. 3.]

return to Enterprise index

Quotations | Newspaper Articles | Special Features | Links | Search